As part of a class assignment you have to write about the following topic:
We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers. They are used in business, hospitals, crime detection and even to fly planes. What things will they be used in the future? Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspicious of their benefits?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
You should write at least 250 words.
Model Answer 1:
Today, the computer has become an indispensable tool in our day-to-day activities. In fact, we find it very difficult to get through a working day without it. In this essay, we will discuss the usage of computers in the foreseeable future. Also, we will analyse how this dependency will have negative impacts on the society.
To begin with, computers can be used in performing daily chores at the house. For instance, cleaning of the home can be done with the minimum effort and time with the advent of robot maids. In addition, teachers can use computers for teaching their students by staying at their own place. In other words, tutors can arrange multiple classes in different cities at the same time by the help of this tool. Thus, it is obvious that the computer can be used in household work as well as for teaching purpose in the coming future.
However, inordinate usage of this tool has many disadvantages. First of all, human beings will be replaced by this machine leading to the increase in the unemployment which is intrinsically tied to the rate of the crime within the nation. Furthermore, the absence of physical presence of teachers in the classroom can raise the problems of discipline within the students. In other words, social development of these pupils will be harmed and thereby, will cause a hindrance in the nation’s social growth.
From above, it can be seen that computers will be used for various activities at home as well as at educational institutions in the future. But, excessive utilisation of this machine can boost the issues related to job causing rise in the crime and afflict the young people’s development. It is thus hoped that people will be made aware of the harmfulness of relying too much on computers.
[by – Aqeela ]
Idea Generation for this IELTS Essay:
Essay Type: Discussion + Argumentative.
Main question of this IELTS Essay:
A. What things computers will be used in the future?
B. Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspicious of their benefits?
Discussion: What things computers will be used in the future?
- In space exploration, the breakthrough in robots will lead humans to have access farthest planets and stars. While robots have been sent to Mars, they could be sent to farther stars.
- In medicine, digitalization will revolutionise distant microsurgery, procedures which are controlled from a distance, helping people all over the world to be cured far better than being expected.
- Criminals and crimes will be detected far easier ways than now. More highly-tech satellites will be used to track fugitives escaping from jail or criminals escaping from the crime scene by using of more developed digital sensors.
- Present communication systems like fax, mail or telegram will be just history for the next coming generation.
- Customers will be able to find, select, and purchase their favourite item through the web far simpler. For example, digital scent technology will help people to smell the items via online shopping.
- Pilotless passenger planes will be used be aviation companies as avian digitalization will develop more.
- Undersea exploration and reaching in the deeper sea level would be possible. That would enhance our knowledge about the creatures of the sea and would help us to find more resources for our foods and other needs.
- The computer would replace many manual labours in most of the manufacturing companies.
- Traffic controls both in the highways and air would be fully automated and any violation of traffic rules would be detected and fined instantly.
- Weather forecasts would be pretty accurate and reliable forecasts of natural calamities would be easier to predict.
- Devastating weapons would be designed and used with the help of computer technology in the near future.
- Mathematics, statistics, chemistry and Physics would enhance further with the high speed and unimaginable calculating power of the computers.
- Teachers would be able to arrange multiple classes in different locations at the same time by the help of computer based educations tools and the internet.
Arguments: Why the dependency on computers is a good thing.
- In many cases where calculation and long hour works are required, computers are more reliable than humans. The amount of calculation a supercomputer can do in few seconds would take the entire lifetime for a human.
- We can save our time. Computers assist us uploading data faster than other devices. They can also contain massive data in a tiny storage device.
- They are more economical. By spending few hundred dollars of money to buy a laptop, we can improve many other abilities. For instance, online courses are less expensive than the regular training, so we have to have a computer and Internet for connection.
- To save information and files, less space is needed when it comes to using computers.
- They can be used in workplaces which are hazardous for the human.
- Humans are biologically unable to reach certain places like far away in the space or bottom of the sea where computer-riven robots could be sent.
- Computers follow our instructions and always act as they were made. Their usages are controlled by the human. So negative aspects of computers are not their fault, the fault is ours.
Arguments: Why we should be more suspicious of the benefits computers offer?
- Cyber-addiction has led humans to become more isolated, inactive, and depressed.
- Our data might be hacked by the professional hackers. Using of highly-tech soft-wares, our information can be stolen easily.
- Accessing to some important data is costly, and users might be targeted by cybercrime and lose all of their saved data. For example, a user’s bank password might be hacked by a professional hacker and thousands of dollars might be stolen by him.
- Human workers and employees will be replaced by this machine leading to the increase in the unemployment which is intrinsically tied to the rate of the crime.
- Addiction to computers has increased the prevalence of obesity. The more people use their computer, the more they will become inactive and overweight.
- Any error with the computers can affect lots of human lives and can create chaos.
[The above-mentioned points should be helpful for you to generate your own ideas and then turning them into a nicely written IELTS Essay. Add any point you think we have missed in the comment section at the end of this article.]
Model Answer 2: (Source – Cambridge IELTS Book 1)
Computers are relatively new invention. The first computers were built sixty years ago and it is the last thirty years or so that their influences has affected our everyday life. Personal computers were introduced as recently as the early eighties. In this short time, they have made a tremendous impact on our lives. We are now so dependent on computers that it is hard to imagine what things would be without them. You have only got to go into a bank when their main computer is broken to appreciate the chaos that would occur if computers were suddenly removed worldwide.
In the future, computers will be used to create bigger and even more sophisticated computers. The prospects for this are quite alarming. They will be so complex that no individual could hope to understand how they work. They will bring a lot of benefits but hey will also increase the potential for unimaginable chaos. They will, for example, be able to fly planes and they will be able to co-ordinate the movements of several planes in the vicinity of an airport. Providing all the computers are working correctly nothing can go wrong, but if one small program fails–disaster.
There is a certain inevitability that technology will progress and become increasingly complex. We should, however, ensure that we are still in a position where we can control the technology. It will be too easy to suddenly discover that technology is controlling us. By then it might be too late. I believe that it is very important to be suspicious of the benefits that computers will bring and to make sure that we never become totally dependent on a completely technological world.
(Approximately 282 words)
Sample Answer 3:
Computers are relatively new invention and it’s been only 50 years or so when the first computer was evolved and till then computers have become an inevitable part of our life and we cannot think even a single day without the uses of computers. From a small departmental shop to a large corporate business, from traffic signal controlling to launching rockets, the computer is a must. Again hospitals, offices, defence & intelligent departments, educational institutes use computers at every level of their work and service. To understand that, we will just have to go to a bank, where account holders’ information and other financial figures are kept on a server computer. If anything goes wrong with the server computer, the result is overwhelming and devastating. Similarly, in a hospital where all data and medical records are stored in computers and even these computers are used to do many intricate operations. Any error with the computers can affect lots of human lives. It seems that computers are a very vital part of the current world and as the speed and capability of computers increasing day by day, we are becoming more dependent. From personal entertainment to collecting outer-space data, from traffic controlling to DNA research, computers are the main tools to depend on.
In the future, researchers will use computers and the Artificial Intelligence to bring out the result from most of the research. Human will try to gather more data on outer world and the computer systems and computer controlled machines will be used to find a suitable alternative for the world to live in. Scientists will invade inner-sea environment for more resources. The education system will be mostly dependent on computers. As Artificial Intelligence will improve in future, so will the robotics to replace humans by computers to do most of the jobs. Lie detectors and DNA testing system will be flawless and the criminal investigating departments will use the computers to find the clues of any crime. Satellite communications and internet would be a part of our lives and all the present communication systems like fax, mail or telegram will be just history for the next coming generation. Most people will read from a computer screen and will write through a keyboard or voice recognition systems. In short, Computer will be used in almost all levels of life from playing video games till digital cyber war in future.
Throughout the history, human always invented and still trying to invent new tools and machines to make our lives more secure and easy. But no other single device or tool had been so influential like the computer. Day by day we’re becoming more and more dependent upon computers. In my opinion, we cannot stop using computers or even we can’t lessen the uses of computers. The development of technology will follow its own track no matter what we think about it. Dependency is necessary but too much of it can be malevolent for the whole human race when it comes in term of computers. So we must make sure that we are controlling machines, not the machines controlling us. We don’t want a scenario like the famous Hollywood movie “Terminator”, where human fighting for their existence against their own created machines.