IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a typical day in your life when you were a child.
You should say:
- who was/were around you
- what you ate
- who took care of you
and say what you most enjoyed doing on your childhood days.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
I was born in a nuclear family in Milan, Italy and thus did not have the chance to see and meet intimately with the other relatives or family members of my family. I just saw my parents and siblings with me. But they were really careful about me and I enjoyed a huge number of benefits from them in my childhood. This is a nice cue card task for me. I would love to answer the remaining questions.
I took the usual foods in my childhood. I loved the breakfast and lunch but was reluctant to have my dinner. In the breakfast, used to take a juice or milk and some cookies. Sometimes, I used to eat cakes as well instead of cookies. But the routine was different in the holidays. Taking pasta during the lunch was my habit. Sometimes, it was altered by roasted potatoes and meat. I never liked fishes. But mom used to force me into having the fishes for supper. Sometimes, I took pizza instead of fishes.
It was a small family. There were no external members to look after me. But my elder siblings were kind to me and they helped me greatly. In fact, my elder sister was the representative of my mom in her absence. She used to take care of me. She prepared me for the school, often fed me in supper and did many other activities that I will remember always.
Outing with my family members on the weekends in the attractive spots of Milan was the most enjoyable thing for me. In those evening, I used to take part in various types of activities. Besides, watching the cartoon shows was the other important and enjoyable task for me. Alas! The days are gone and I miss my childhood.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a typical day in your life when you were a child.
1. I used to spend most of my time with my pet, Tom when I was a child. It was a nice looking cat. But during the meal hours, I used to move to my mom or the maidservant. I took some simple foods in the meal and preferred milk. In fact, my mom was highly busy with her own activities. So, Merry took care of me. I enjoyed playing with my pet most in my childhood.
2. My siblings were around me when I was a child. Actually, I was the youngest of them and thus they took great care of me. My elder sister fed me and I loved to take the chicken. The habit is still going on. But I got most of the care from my elder brother. He used to take me out of the home. I also used to play with toys. And had gathered a remarkable number of toys.
3. I have spent my childhood in Japan and mostly was surrounded by relatives. I loved taking noodles at all time of the day. My mother was a housewife and she took great care of me. I cannot forget the childhood days because I enjoyed riding my dad’s bicycle most. He used to take me to different places and I sat behind him. I also learned to ride the bicycle from my dad in my childhood.
4. My parents lived in a remote place in Sri Lanka and I spent most of the time of a day with them. I loved eating the fish curry more than any other curries with plain rice. A maid used to help my mom and she also took care of me. She helped me in bathing, getting prepared for school etc. But I enjoyed playing in the school ground most. We played various types of outdoor sports there.
5. Admission at a boarding school is tough but spending the entire childhood there is extremely undesirable. I spent the childhood with my teachers and friends. I had to take regular meals provided by the school authority. The school was located in the southwest corner of Jakarta – far away from my residence. So, the attendants from the school took care of mine. But bunking the classes was highly thrilling to me.
6. My parents were with me in my childhood. In fact, I was their only daughter and they loved me much. I loved taking foods made from vegetables and still, the habit is on. In day times, mom used to take care of me and even accompanied me to school. I enjoyed different things in my childhood and reading comic books was the most notable one. I had a huge collection of comic books.
Your preparation for the cue card topic – “Describe a typical day in your life when you were a child.” would help you to talk about the following topics as well:
1. Describe something memorable from your childhood days.
2. Talk about how you passed a typical childhood day.
3. Describe a childhood memory.